Staying safe while dating online
While the majority of our members are sincere and honest, exceptions do exist. To counteract this, we check and verify every profile created on our site. In recognition of the risks of modern day dating, here are some tips on how you can confirm the authenticity of a profile and protect yourself against fraud.
- It is best to avoid contact if you doubt the information provided on a profile is legitimate.
- Be mindful of giving out your personal information and only proceed if you feel comfortable doing so. If your match is excessively demanding it can be a warning sign.
- Beware of users who send you a private email address or links to external website. These are often an indication of a phishing attempt.
- If your match requests for you to either make or receive any form of financial payment, cease all contact immediately and report the profile to customer care. This is a strong indicator of a fraudulent activity.
- Only provide your phone number if you feel safe and comfortable doing so. Do not let yourself be pressured into meeting someone you are unsure of.
- Keep your safety in mind when meeting new people. Your first meeting is one of many steps in the process of getting to know your match. You should remember that this person is still largely a stranger to you. Therefore, consider the following points:
- Choose a neutral location, such as a coffee shop or a restaurant.
- Do not go to their house, or invite them to yours for the first date.
- Tell your friends or someone you trust that you are going on a date and with whom.
- Do not leave your personal belongings unattended.
- Please contact our customer care team if you suspect any profile contains false information or is behaving in a fraudulent manner.